The Medical Scientific Liaison (MSL) provides non-promotional, medical support that helps to ensure the safe and effective use of Aerogen’s devices, through effective scientific interactions with external experts, providing support to investigators conducting Aerogen clinical trials, and providing scientific support for Aerogen internal stakeholders. The MSL works largely in the field as a scientific expert on their assigned therapy area, disease area, clinical practice and competitor landscape. Key activities include overseeing Aerogen’s international investigator-initiated trial program, KOL development, educational presentations to healthcare professionals, clinical and scientific input to R & D projects and regulatory documents, providing technical support and training to healthcare professionals (HCPs) on Aerogen product use, working with HCPs to gain insight into market trends and developments and to get feedback on Aerogen’s innovation and clinical development plan and working closely with sales and marketing to assist market development (congresses, training, handling HCP queries, scientific input into marketing materials). This role involves significant travel and reports directly to the Chief Medical Officer with a dotted line report to the VP of Marketing – Americas, based in the Chicago office.
Duties / Responsibilities
Interactions with Key Opinion Leaders – (KOLs)
- Provide fair and balanced information on the benefits and risks of products, therapeutic options and disease states.
- Identify and develop KOLs for advisory boards, clinical studies or speaker development. Train and develop speakers on the company’s products to support broader education needs and manage the related speaking engagement schedules.
- Identify key institutions, fostering professional relationships in the respiratory therapeutic area across the hospital acute care setting.
- Obtain feedback and advice about company products or pipeline through peer-to-peer interactions and advisory boards and communicate relevant information back to internal stakeholders.
Supporting Research Endeavors:
- Managing Aerogen’s clinical trials in the Americas into applications of Aerogen technology:
- Facilitate the initiation of investigator initiated studies with Aerogen technology.
- Participate in the assessment of clinical evaluation protocols;
- Determine and negotiate appropriate mechanisms to provide equipment or other forms of support;
- Administer study documentation, including research and supply agreements, insurances and liability issues, and submissions to IRB etc.;
- Ensure studies stay on track
- Monitor compliance with regulatory guidelines in investigations of off-label usage;
- Draft abstracts and manuscripts to encourage the rapid publication of study outcomes in peer reviewed literature;
- Identify investigators and research sites to conduct studies differentiating Aerogen’s products from the competition with commercially agreed clinical and cost benefit outcomes.
- Act as a conduit for unsolicited, investigator-initiated research proposals by facilitating proposals, advising on the mechanics of the application, and acting as a conduit to senior management for proposal approval
- Work closely with the commercial function to provide marketing and sales with the clinical and scientific data and background support that they need to grow Aerogen’s market share.
- Increase knowledge in the community of product and pipeline research activities
- Maintain scientific expertise of products and disease states, keeping abreast of cutting edge research and literature in therapeutic area
- Attend scientific meetings and symposia
- Provide synopsis of information presented for internal colleagues
- Gather competitive intelligence and report back to Aerogen
- Support medical or scientific activities at conferences or meetings
Providing Scientific Information and Education Support:
- Discuss disease state or product information through peer-to-peer interactions with opinion leaders for -on label use
- Answer questions on appropriate off-label information in response to unsolicited questions
- Deliver presentations to the health care community, purchasing/formulary decision makers and government accounts when requested
- Conduct medical educational training for internal partners and distributors.
- Provides scientific support to internal partners (commercial, research, regulatory) including medical writing and other scientific projects
- Provide clinical input to the regulatory affairs department in the preparation of regulatory submissions and product registrations.
- Provide clinical support to manufacturing and quality for sustaining commercial products; e.g. resolution of quality concerns, evaluation of customer complaints.
- Regularly collects and interprets medical insights and feedback gathered from scientific exchange with opinion leaders and communicates relevant information to internal stakeholders in order to define, update, and support medical strategies.
- Collaborate, participate and contribute to cross functional teams and initiatives with internal departments (Clinical, Marketing, Sales, Training )
- Complete all required training, documentation, expense reporting and other administrative responsibilities.
- Ensure compliance with all Aerogen internal policies and external regulatory compliance requirements
- French as a second language
- Clinical experience in situations where direct/or indirect decision making authority for patient care was demonstrated (e.g. direct patient care, treatment protocol development, therapy guidelines development, traditional clinical practice settings) or medical liaison experience
- Scientific publication(s) in internationally recognized peer reviewed journals
- Understanding requirements for Clinical Registry
- Presentations at national and international conferences
- Travel will equate to 30 – 60% of the individual’s time. Person applying for this position would need to reside within the Chicago region. Candidates should expect to spend at least 6 days a month in the Chicago office.
- Changing priorities; long hours occasionally required to complete projects. Handle multiple projects with tight deadlines. Work after hours is occasionally required to complete work tasks and meet deadlines.
- Typical office environments, with work also performed in Science labs, and hospital clinical environment.
- The role will involve frequent domestic and limited international travel.
Education / Experience
- At least 2 years, hands-on, relevant medical device/pharmaceutical Medical Science Liaison experience
- Life Sciences degree, PhDf, MD, Pharm D, Nursing qualifications (Medical/Clinical focus)
- Clinical experience with aerosol therapy, critical care, and/or respiratory care.
- Excellent presentation skills. Ability to clearly and convincingly communicate new ideas, concepts, issues and successes.
- Experience of design and monitoring investigator initiated clinical trials
- Conversant with Good Clinical Practice
- Assisted in writing, submission and subsequent publication of peer reviewed scientific manuscripts.
- Attention to detail in creation and examination of clinical and scientific documentation.
- Ability to be conversant with analytical models and correlate experimental to theoretical results.
- Highly effective interpersonal skills and the ability to continually demonstrate poise, tact, and diplomacy
- Ability to understand commercial imperatives and work proactively and productively with sales and marketing professionals to build Aerogen market share
- Good computer skills. Experienced with Microsoft Office applications for generating office documents, presentations, spreadsheets etc.
- Ability to work independently and cross-functionally within the context of multidisciplinary external and internal teams
Closing Date for Application
17th April 2017
Aerogen is the world’s leading medical device company specialising in the design, manufacture and commercialisation of aerosol drug delivery systems.
Founded in Galway, Ireland in 1997, we have grown to become the global leader in high performance aerosol drug delivery, partnering our technology with the leading mechanical ventilation companies.
Aerogen technology is used by millions of patients and caregivers in over 75 countries worldwide.
To find out more go to www.aerogen.com